International Models Project On Women’s Rights (IMPOWR) Privacy Statement:
Last Updated: August 1, 2013
The IMPOWR website located at www.impowr.org (“Website”) is brought to you by the American Bar Association (“we,” “us”). This Privacy Statement generally describes the information we collect from you online at the Website, how we may use it, with whom we may share it, how it is stored, and your choices about information uses and disclosures.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully before using the Website. By providing information to us, registering or using the Website, or taking other affirmative action to consent, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
If you have any questions about our privacy practices, please refer to the end of this Privacy Statement for information on how to contact us.
Information We Collect About You
In General. We collect information about you and how you use the Website through a number of different methods which are generally described in this section.
- Information You Provide. We collect information that you intentionally provide us through the Website such as when you register and create a user profile, join our mailing list, contact us, or otherwise provide personal information on the Website or send it to us (e.g., in email). The personal information we typically request includes your name, email address, username and other contact information. Unless we expressly ask for sensitive information, you should not supply it (e.g., don’t send us your national identification number). Also, remember if you upload personal or sensitive information to public areas of the Website or through public communications facilitated by the Website, you agree that it can be shared on the Website with everyone in the world to see and potentially disclose it.
- Information From Other Sources. We may combine personal information about you with information we receive from other sources, including but not limited to authentication services. We will use the combined information for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement or as allowed by law.
- Information Collected Automatically. As part of the standard operation of the Website, we may collect information from you that is not necessarily personal information, but which is collected at the Website. This includes but is not limited to typical collections such as your browser type, operating system, IP address and the domain name from which you accessed the Website and the date and time of access. In addition, we may collect information about your browsing behavior, such as the date and time you visit the Website, the areas or pages of the Website that you visit or the things you click on, the amount of time you spend viewing the Website, the number of times you return to the Website, the country from which you view the Website and other clickstream data. We may collect public and non-public information from third parties and combine it with other personal information.
Our cookies or other technologies might personally identify you: they do not expressly do so, but to the extent that combining bits of information can result in identification, then they might. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the features offered on the Website.
How We May Use the Information We Collect
In General. We may use information that we collect about you to:
- verify your eligibility to use the Website;
- deliver requested services and information, including newsletters when you join our mailing list;
- manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- contact you or others when necessary or when we think it is advisable;
- further our mission including but not limited to the specific goals of IMPOWR;
- address problems or potential problems with the Website;
- generate non-identifying or aggregate data and disclose it for statistical studies and research related to our products, services and use of the Website.
- enforce or exercise any rights under U.S. of foreign laws or our terms and conditions, including dealing with legal process and without undertaking any duties to do so making disclosures to assert, defend and enforce rights or property of us or others or to prevent harm to us or others;
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
You agree that information we collect may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
With Whom We Share Your Information
Personal Information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or (i) obtain your prior consent, or (ii) when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt-out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Service Providers: We may share your personal information, which may include your name and contact information (including email address) with third parties that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include but are not limited to providing customer service, supporting the Website functionality, and other features offered through the Website. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Other Situations. We also may disclose your information, including personal information:
o In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
o When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our users, our employees, affiliates, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce the Website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
o In connection with any restructuring of the ABA, including the ABA’s decision to establish IMPOWR as a separate entity or organization in which case both the ABA and the new entity or organization may retain and use information collected through the Website.
- Aggregated and Non-Personal Information. We may share non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may also share it with third parties to develop and deliver targeted advertising on the Website and on websites of third parties, and to analyze and report on advertising you see. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated, non-personal information with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors.
There may be places on the Website where you may click on a link to access other websites that do not operate under this Privacy Statement. For example, if you click on an advertisement on the Website, you may be taken to a website that we do not control. These third-party websites may independently solicit and collect information, including personal information, from you and, in some instances, provide us with information about your activities on those websites. We recommend that you consult the privacy statements of all third-party websites you visit by clicking on the "privacy" link typically located at the bottom of the webpage you are visiting.
How You Can Access Your Information
If you have an online account with us, you have the ability to review and update your personal information online by logging into your account and clicking on “EDIT” to update your account. More information about how to contact us is provided below. If you have an online account with us, you can request your account to be deactivated. After your account is deactivated, you will not be able to sign in to the Website or access any of your personal information. If you deactivate
your account, we may still retain certain information associated with your account and use it as outlined in this Privacy Statement.
Your Choices About Collection and Use of Your Information
You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of the Website because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member, leave comments, use services, ask a question, or use other functions on the Website.
Information Security and Protecting Yourself
We believe we have implemented and maintain security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) intended to provide reasonable security consistent with our needs and mission. However, no security measures are completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information using insecure methods.
The Website is not designed or intended for use by children. The Website is not designed to attract children under the age of 13 and we do not intentionally or knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13.
Visiting the Website from Outside the United States
If you are visiting the Website from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located and our central database is operated. By using our services, you understand that your information may be transferred to our facilities and those third parties with whom we share it as described in this Privacy Statement.
No Rights of Third Parties
This Privacy Statement does not create rights enforceable by third parties or require disclosure of any personal information relating to users of the Website.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
We will occasionally update this Privacy Statement. When we post changes to this Privacy Statement, we will revise the "Last Updated" date at the top of this Privacy Statement. We recommend that you check the Website from time to time to inform yourself of any changes in this Privacy Statement or any of our other policies.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement or our information-handling practices, or if you would like to request information about our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please contact us at:
1050 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
We will make good faith efforts to resolve requests to correct inaccurate information except where the request is unreasonable, requires disproportionate technical effort or expense, jeopardizes the privacy of others, or would be impractical.